[OS X TeX] wyswyg-TeX for Linux?

M. Tamer Özsu tozsu at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 26 10:02:20 EST 2008

On 20/01/08 9:13 AM, "Ryan Clary" <mrclary at umd.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2008, at 8:36 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> Back when I was a student (in LaTeX so it was only some three years
>> ago) I had tried LyX but hadn't liked it. Can't remember why though.
>
> I had tried it several years ago, as well.  I remember that I was
> turned off by it because the output pdf was horrendous.  It looked
> like a bad bit-map rendition.  I figured it was a bad port to Mac
> OSX.  I have recently tried the latest version, 1.5.3, and have been
> quite pleased.  With the ability to modify the preamble and insert raw
> latex code, I don't see that there should be any limitations at all.
> I will see how it goes, but I think that I may convert from TexShop.

I have tried LyX and one problem that I could not work around is
"installing" new style files. LyX does not regularly come with ACM
proceedings/journal class/style files (it does come with IEEE ones) and I
could not for the life of me figure out how to install them. I followed the
instructions, but I could just not get it to work. Otherwise, it would have
been a nice alternative.

--
M. Tamer Ozsu
University of Waterloo