[OS X TeX] Texmaker

M. Tamer Özsu tozsu at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 26 19:07:17 EST 2008

On 26/01/08 5:36 PM, "Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 26.01.2008 um 16:10 schrieb M. Tamer Özsu:
>> Output written on handbook.dvi (21 pages, 105012 bytes).
> This shows that the TeX run has succeeded ­ otherwise there would not
> be a DVI file.

No question, latex succeeded as well as dvips -- even though the log does
not show that the .ps file is generated.

>> Interestingly, it has generated a .ps file as it appears in the
>> directory
>> with the right timestamp.
> This was produced from the DVI file with dvips.

That I know. What I was inquiring was that the log did not show the
execution of dvips and the generation of .ps file. I may be wrong, but I
thought this would have been recorded in the log.

>>  now the second problem I could not figure out...
>> It does not generate the pdf file as it should. Running ps2pdf
>> separately
>> from within texmaker (under Tools) gives an error:
>> Process started
>> /usr/local/bin/ps2pdf: line 5: exec: ps2pdfwr not found
> When you have the PS file, you can change working directory (cd is
> the command) in Terminal to where the PS file is and then invoke
> sh -x ps2pdf handbook.ps

Yes, but that is not the problem. When I run ps2pdf from the terminal it
runs without problems. The issue is that when ps2pdf is invoked from within
texmaker then it gives the error I noted.

> I suppose your Ghostscript installation might be not complete. You
> also could try on the command line:
> which gs ps2pdf ps2pdf14 ps2pdf13 ps2pdf12 ps2pdfwr

All of these are in /usr/local/bin

> gs --version

That shows 8.57. All of this was installed directly by MacTeX.

> Has TeXmaker preferences in which particular binaries and tools are set?

Yes, and they are set to the paths that I obtained by "which ..." from

> Why can't you use pdflatex to directly produce PDF output?

I certainly can for some of my workflow, but it is still a mystery as to why
this thing does not work as it should. It is a mystery that I would love to

> --
> Greetings
>    Pete

Thanks much for your response.