[OS X TeX] suppress vertical line in table

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 13:50:27 EST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008, at 1:20 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Alain and Jonathan,
>
> On 29/01/2008, at 4:32 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>> On Jan 28, 2008, at 11:26 AM, Jonathan Hanson wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I believe that there is a command that suppresses the drawing of
>>> vertical lines for a particular row in a table, but I can't
>>> remember it and can't find seem to find it anywhere.  I want to
>>> create n-by-n boxes with labels on the left and top sides for
>>> each row/column, and I can't get rid of the vertical lines
>>> extending above the box.
>>
>> I am not quite sure I see what you want but have you considered
>> the package hhline?
>>
>> However, and not to highjack the thread, I would also like a table
>> in which the upper left cell has no left and no top line.
>
> Alain, suppose your {tabular} has 6 columns.
> Then instead of starting the contents with  \hline
> for the top row, use  \cline{2-6}  .

Yes, I had completely forgotten about cline even though I used them.

> (That makes the "hole" in the top line for you.)
>
> Now for that first cell use  \multicolumn{1}{...}{.....}
> where the first {...} is the layout specifier for this cell.
> e.g. if you had  |c|  for the column, now use  just  c| .
> (Ergo, skip the first vertical line.)

Now, that is a nice trick! Thanks.

> For Jonathan the answer is similar to this latter trick.
> He should use a complete row of \multicolumn{1}{...}{....}  cells.
> e.g.
>
>   \begin{tabular}{|c|c|c|c|c|}
>   \multicolumn{1}{c}{Header 1}
>   &\multicolumn{1}{c}{Header 2}
>   &\multicolumn{1}{c}{Header 3}
>   &\multicolumn{1}{c}{Header 4}
>   &\multicolumn{1}{c}{Header 5}
>   \\\hline
>   ....2nd row ......
>   \\\hline
>   ....3rd row ......
>   \\\hline
>   etc.
>   \\\hline
>   \end{tabular}

Also, I just remembered why I thought of hhline:
	 \hhline{~~-}
will ignore the cells in the first two columns and put a line for the
third one (in a three column table.)

Grateful regards
--schremmer