[OS X TeX] (Off topic?) A problem with the Latin Modern Opentype fonts

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Wed Jul 9 08:20:09 EDT 2008

Le 09-juil.-08 à 14:04, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

>>> BTW2: thanks for pointing out that TextEdit can open .odt files.
>>> Thus it seems Apple has built into OS X some Open Document Format
>>> capabilities. Interesting...
>>
>> Sorry, but I never pointed that out :-) Actually, I don't know
>> anything about that… I only made test files after the installation
>> of the LM OTF fotns, that is to say two different (short)
>> document, one for each (TextEdit and NeoOffice) and then noticed
>> their behavior…
>
> First, it really seems TextEdit reads .odt files. Don't know why,
> but it works.

Not for me, I've just tried. Maybe because I'm still on Tiger? The
ability to open .otd files could be a new feature of TextEdit on
Leopard.

> Second, here's how to verify the Latin Modern 12 fonts in a
> NeoOffice document are actually 10 pt fonts scaled to 12 pt:
>
> - Open the .odt file in TextEdit then use the font panel (Cmd-T).

Indeed, that's what I did for the TextEdit test file (in rtf format).
I wondered if it was possible with a otd file inside NeoOffice
itself. Apparently not.

> - Or export to PDF from NeoOffice, then open the PDF in Adobe
> Reader and use Properties (Cm-D).

I should have thought of that…

> Or, if you've installed the xpdf tools, use the pdffonts command-
> line utility.

That I didn't knew. Thanks again!