[OS X TeX] Squeezing text into boxes

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 18 05:13:35 EDT 2008

On 18 jul 2008, at 10:32, Luis Sequeira wrote:

> I second the suggestion to use pstricks. It is easy create the
> boxes, color them and put the text in them. And you can easily scale
> anything to fit, as the OP pointed out.

[snip]

> 1) As always, when using pstricks, you must use "TeX & Ghostscript"
> instead of pdflatex.

For this reason, I suggest that pstricks is best avoided if you are
not already familiar with it. All signs of the future of tex point to
a pdf-based workflow, not a dvi-based workflow (xetex, luatex). If you
need the functionality of pstricks, the use of metapost is probably a
better idea as it is compatible with the pdf-based workflow.
Especially with the integration of OpenType and Unicode, dvi is on its
way out.

And the OP can achieve the desired effect without using dvi-specific
\specials{} at all.

Just a few cents.

Maarten