[OS X TeX] Re: OT: OS X 10.5.3

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Mon Jun 2 10:53:10 EDT 2008

On Jun 2, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Simon Spiegel wrote:

>>> Skim also uses Apple's pdf system, so you don't win anything over
>>> Preview in this regard. But since this bug – which I encountered
>>> regularly with the mathpazo package – is fixed in 10.5.3, this
>>> whole discussion is moot.
>>>

>> Moot, at least, for this particular bug. I would like some pdf
>> viewer that isn't dependent on Apple's pdf system,
>
> Why exactly? The bug Apple introduced with Leopard was bad, no doubt
> adoubt that, but besides that, what's wrong with Apple's pdf system?
> They don't implement every single feature of PDF, but that's mainly
> because not every single feature is open. There are some parts of
> PDF no one can implement except Adobe.

I suppose I am as usual just being a bit over-cautious. But it seems
that often I do get PDFs that look odd in some way, and it would be
nice to eliminate Apple's particular interpretation of PDF as a source
of this. I don't have Reader installed because it seems a bit
intrusive at times, and I find it highly counterintuitive to use.
Also, for my own testing purposes---for instance in the Leopard
printing bug, I spent hours and hours trying to narrow down the
problem, thinking it was a problem with my TeXing; a quick spin on
xpdf would have shown me that that wasn't the problem.

=================================
Adam M. Goldstein PhD MSLIS
Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Iona College