[OS X TeX] TexShop with Psfrag - Need Help

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 18 21:27:19 EDT 2008

I export a cell from Mathematica ("Save Selection As", and choose the
option EPS), open it in Illustrator, and edit it as much as I like. If
I need other text or equations, I create them with LaTeXit, and export
that to .EPS, open it in Illustrator, copy it, and paste it into the
Mathematica file open in Illustrator.

There are all sorts of interesting things you can do with the file in
Illustrator, e.g. change thickness or color of a function's graph,
change the grid legends, you name it.

Then, all editing done, save the Illustrator file as EPS, and open it
within TeXShop. Presto, a cropped PDF, which is easily incorporated
into you LaTeX file with \includegraphics{filename}. (The graphics
will be named filename.pdf, but don't use .pdf in the
\includegraphics{filename} command.)

Illustrator is not cheap, but if you're an academic, there are various
discounts Adobe offers. The "Creative Suite" sale allowed me to get
nearly all of their products in a bundle for $150 about six months
ago. I still can't believe it.

It's possible that much the same can be done with the Open Source and
free Inkscape, but I haven't used it enough to say.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory Schools