[OS X TeX] How Long...

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jun 21 09:28:17 EDT 2008

Howdy,

In assembling software for the MacTeX 2008 release I've stumbled
across a bit of a dilemma that may be a bit controversial. The
questions is... How much longer should we support Panther (OS X 10.3.9).

More and more software updates have dropped Panther support so that
requires having two versions of the software in the MacTeX (and
MacTeXtras) distribution; an older one for Panther and a newer one for
Tiger/Leopard. This is leading to a bit of bloat in the distribution
as well as limiting what can be included because of space
considerations.

One very recent example is the release of Aquamacs Emacs 1.4 which is
no longer Panther compatible. Since this is a large distribution, a
 >50MB dmg file, it is impractical to include both the 1.4 and 1.3b
(Panther compatible) versions in MacTeX.

So, let the discussion begin. How many people, especially at
Universities and other Organizations, which distribute software via
Disk still need Panther versions?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)