[OS X TeX] Re: Leopard, MacTeX2007 and gv

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jun 28 06:20:51 EDT 2008

Le 28 juin 08 à 09:29, Eric van der Oord a écrit :

> I get he following message :
>
> 	configure: error: Unable to find a valid Xaw3d library. Please
> install it and rerun configure.
>
> Of course I installed Xaw3d wih i-installer before.
>
> I guess there is some path problem...

What do you get with "echo $PATH"? On a vanilla Leopard setup you
should get:

/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

And with MacTeX-2007 installed you'll get:

/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin

Likely culprits are customized initialization files (like ~/.profile)
you would have moved over from a pre-Leopard setup. Modified files /
etc/csh.login, /etc/profile and /usr/share/misc/man.conf are also
sources for concern. The way to set environment variables, in
particular PATH and MANPATH, has changed in Leopard; see for example <http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/LeopardTeXFix.rtf
 >.

That said, the problem may lie within your Xaw3D installation. If I'm
not mistaken, the i-Package should have installed the following files:

/usr/X11/include/X11/Xaw3d/*.h
/usr/X11/lib/libXaw3d.7.0.dylib
/usr/X11/lib/libXaw3d.7.dylib
/usr/X11/lib/libXaw3d.a
/usr/X11/lib/libXaw3d.dylib

where by * I mean a number of files (77 of them) with different names.
The install location is defined by the variable install_location set
to /usr/X11R6 in Xaw3d.ii2/Xaw3d.plist, with /usr/X11R6 a symlink to /
usr/X11 in Leopard.

Do you have these files? Are they dated 3 November 2006 (except for
the symlinks /usr/X11/lib/libXaw3d.7.dylib and /usr/X11/lib/
libXaw3d.dylib)? Did you define a variable II2INSTALLDIR in
Preferences > Environment in i-Installer, overriding the install
location defined within the Xaw3d i-Package?

Bruno Voisin