[OS X TeX] a suggestion

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Mar 2 16:04:33 EST 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 2:31 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

>> Unfortunately, I was not able to implement what I learned on page
>> 35. What follows is my short input file; it was based on my
>> understanding of Oetiker. But the file did not compile. The error
>> message was that the sty file cannot be found. Please tell me to
>> accomplish this task. What is missing in my input file?\
>
> Two problems.  You spelled the package name wrong (which is what the
> error is trying to tell you). It should be \usepackage{makeindx} (no
> 'e' in index)

Howdy,

Actually you should leave out the `n' too: \usepackage{makeidx}.

> Second, you'll never see your index if you don't also include a
> \printindex command at the end of your document.
>
> Third (and this isn't obvious from your post, but it may not have
> been clear either), you need to do the following: (1) latex your
> document (2) run makeindex on your document (in TeXShop this is
> command-shift-I) and (3) run latex on your document again.

Another tack is to use the pdflatexmk engine which will do the
multiple passes through pdflatex, makeindex (and/or bibtex --- if you
have a biliography), etc.

You'll have to move the engine files from ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/
Inactive/Latexmk/ into ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ (see the
documentation in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/ [and the Latexmk
folder there for how to use the engine files]). You can get the latest
version of latexmk for TeXShop, with installation instructions, as
Latexmk321jTeXShop.zip at <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2>.

>> Yes, it is silly to have an index for tiny document. But it is only
>> an attempt to implement what I learned.
>
> No, this is absolutely not silly.  It is the best way to learn how
> things work.  If only more people with problems would post such
> small examples!
>
> Alan

Small is always good.

By the way, once you have a set of packages and a configuration you
like save a document skeleton as a template in ~/Library/TeXShop/
Templates/. You can them create a new document with your defaults set
by opening a new blank document and picking the template contents from
the drop down Templates menu on the document tool bar. No need to re-
invent the world each time.

Oh... and remember that ~ means you HOME directory. :-)

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)