[OS X TeX] a suggestion

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Mar 2 20:39:14 EST 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 7:24 PM, ludwik kowalski wrote:

> 6) Herbert asked: "Are you sure you compiled again after you ran
> makeindex?" I suppose that presence of the learnindex.idx file means
> "yes."

Howdy,

When pdflatex compiles the file the .idx file will be produced. That
file acts as the INPUT to makeindex which then produces an .ind file.
The .ind file is then read into the document on subsequent runs of
pdflatex. It may take more than one more run of pdflatex so that the
cross-referencing (e.g., the exact page number for the index
reference) is resolved correctly.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)