[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX in Acrobat

François Chaplais francois.chaplais at ensmp.fr
Wed Mar 5 03:25:10 EST 2008

Le 4 mars 08 à 22:53, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> On 4 mrt 2008, at 15:37, François Chaplais wrote:
>
>> I have typeset a textbook with XeLaTex + fontspec, system is
>> 10.4.11 with october 2007 MacTex installed.
>> The text font is Cochin.dfont (provided by Apple).
>
> Can you provide a minimal sample? The font is supplied by Apple, so
> most users on this list should have it.

here is a sample source
----------------------------------
% XeLaTeX can use any Mac OS X font. See the setromanfont command below.
% Input to XeLaTeX is full Unicode, so Unicode characters can be
typed directly into the source.

% The next lines tell TeXShop to typeset with xelatex, and to open
and save the source with Unicode encoding.

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

\documentclass[12pt]{report}
\usepackage{amsmath,amssymb,epsfig}
\usepackage[french]{babel}
%\usepackage{geometry}                % See geometry.pdf to learn the
layout options. There are lots.
%\geometry{letterpaper}                   % ... or a4paper or a5paper
or ...
%\geometry{landscape}                % Activate for for rotated page
geometry
%\usepackage[parfill]{parskip}    % Activate to begin paragraphs with
an empty line rather than an indent
\usepackage{graphics}
\usepackage{amssymb}

% Will Robertson's fontspec.sty can be used to simplify font choices.
% To experiment, open /Applications/Font Book to examine the fonts
provided on Mac OS X,
% and change "Hoefler Text" to any of these choices.

\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Cochin}
\setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex-text]{Gill Sans}
\setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Andale Mono}

\def \i {{i}}

\makeindex
\title{\fontspec{Zapfino}Notes de cours ``Ondelettes et traitement du
signal''%\\
%Ecole Centrale Mai-Juin 2005
}
\author{Fran\c{c}ois Chaplais
\thanks{ Ces notes de cours doivent beaucoup au livre de St\'{e}phane
Mallat ``A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing'', Academic Press.}\\
francois.chaplais at ensmp.fr\\ http://cas.ensmp.fr/\~{ }chaplais/
% d'apr\`{e}s St\'ephane Mallat
}
%\date{}                                           % Activate to
display a given date or no date

\begin{document}
\bibliographystyle{plain}
\maketitle

\newpage
\chapter{Introduction}
\section{Parties r\'{e}guli\`{e}res et singuli\`{e}res d'un signal}
\subsection{D\'{e}tection de bords dans une image}
On consid\`{e}re l'image de synth\`{e}se \ref{Table.fig} dont on
cherche \`{a} d\'{e}tecter les bords en vue d'une reconnaissance
d'objets. Les bords sont assimil\'{e}s \`{a} des variations brusque
d'intensit\'{e} lumineuse (l'information de couleur n'est
interpr\'{e}t\'{e}e dans cet exemple).

I have baseline problems in Acrobat.
\end{document}

---------------

The problem is the display in Acrobat Reader (typically at 100%).

>> It prints fine on the two printers I have used, preview is
>> beautiful both in TeXShop and Preview, but the preview in Acrobat
>> for windows (both versions 6 and 8) is awful at screen sizes,
>> although at great magnifications is is OK (but I mean the
>> documents to be read on the screen).
>> I have output PS to pass them to my son who has distiller CS3, and
>> the result is the same in Acrobat Pro for the Mac.
>> The issue is that the baseline and other metrics are not handled
>> properly by Acrobat at small sizes.
>> Aren't here hints in truetype fonts? Or is is it just that Adobe
>> despises TT? Do I have to stick to Postscript fonts?
>
> You probably get a better answer on the XeTeX mailing list.

do you mean this
http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/xetex

best,
	François