[OS X TeX] Feature Request Math Bracket

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 07:52:42 EDT 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 5:17 AM, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2008, at 2:56 AM, Richard J Benish wrote:
>
>> If you would benefit from having the brackets in equations color
>> coded or be tagged in some other way so that one can see which
>> left goes with which right and immediately find orphan brackets,
>> raise your hand.
>>

> Like Emacs/Aquamacs does?

Yeah, or TextMate also.

Both of these programs will also automatically insert a closing
bracket when you insert the opening one, btw, so the chances of
orphaned brackets go down.

What's more, if you have a complicated long expression and you want
to wrap it in brackets, in both of these programs all you have to do
is select the text and press the left bracket, and the selected text
will be wrapped in the left-right brackets.

It's called "smart pairs" (well OK I don't know if that's an official
title), and most text editors support them.

Unless I've missed something and you can do this in TeXShop as well.

> Joe

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College