[OS X TeX] [OT] Embedding fonts in images

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 09:22:06 EDT 2008

Le 12 mars 08 à 12:47, Charilaos Skiadas a écrit :

> Well R itself would not embed the fonts, but it has a command
> (embedFonts) that runs gs on the background to get the font
> embedded. So when I was telling R to use Helvetica or Times, the
> embedding in that second step was not taking place. When I told R
> explicitly to use the URW clones, that part did indeed work and
> those fonts were embedded, but originally I was simply telling it to
> use Times, and that was not doing the trick (i.e. the close were not
> automatically substituted and embedded by gs.
>
> I did not however find a way to do the same with Zapf Dingbats. R
> uses that font in many drawing places, for points, even for some
> lines it seems. I haven't yet found a way to force it to use a
> substitute there, but luckily that doesn't happen in too many
> places. I'll probably have to ask the R list about it.

I can't be of much help, not using R myself. Just two things:

- Ghostscript by itself should have no problem dealing with Zapf
Dingbats, given it is configured to use an URW clone for it. From
Fontmap.GS:

- For the novice, R's reference manual <http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/fullrefman.pdf
 > is somehow intimidating. It seems font embedding is governed by a
number of commands (embedFonts, postscript, pdf, pdfFonts, ...). If
you specify family="URWTimes" when using the pdf command (but isn't
that precisely what you've done?), does the Dingbats issue get better?
If it's not, then it seems R does not use Dingbats for points and
lines in the same way as it uses other fonts for text. In that case,
the problem might have no solution.

Bruno