[OS X TeX] Installing fonts

Luci Ellis luci at verbeia.com
Sun Mar 16 16:22:06 EDT 2008

On 16/3/08 8:53 PM, "Nathan Paxton" <napaxton at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to install Garamond (and eventually, mathdesign and Minion
> Pro) into my local texmf tree (~/Library/texmf....). I've followed the
> instructions at http://www.tug.org/mactex/fonts/fonttutorial-current.html#sec3
>   and
> http://www.physics.brown.edu/physics/userpages/students/Michael_Abbott/stuff06
> /howtoinstallfonts.htm
> . (I'll grant that I did not follow EVERY direction on Bruno's site,
> but things like section two didn't seem applicable, if I already had
> the PFB, AFM, TFM, VF, and such files from CTAN.)
>
> I then sudo texhash'ed and sudo updmap --enable Map ugm.map'ed. Then
> I ran the following basic file through Latex.

Dear Nathan,
If you are using TeXLive-2007 (ie MacTeX 2007), then mathdesign and the
associated Garamond are already installed.
Change the line
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{ugm}
\usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}

The other problem is that the TeX name of the font is not "ugm" but mdugm.
You could use \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{mdugm}, but the package is more
comprehensive.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Luci