[OS X TeX] Installing fonts

Luci Ellis luci at verbeia.com
Sun Mar 16 16:22:06 EDT 2008

On 16/3/08 8:53 PM, "Nathan Paxton" <napaxton at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to install Garamond (and eventually, mathdesign and Minion
> Pro) into my local texmf tree (~/Library/texmf....). I've followed the
> instructions at http://www.tug.org/mactex/fonts/fonttutorial-current.html#sec3
>   and
> http://www.physics.brown.edu/physics/userpages/students/Michael_Abbott/stuff06
> /howtoinstallfonts.htm
> . (I'll grant that I did not follow EVERY direction on Bruno's site,
> but things like section two didn't seem applicable, if I already had
> the PFB, AFM, TFM, VF, and such files from CTAN.)
> I then sudo texhash'ed and sudo updmap --enable Map ugm.map'ed. Then
> I ran the following basic file through Latex.

Dear Nathan,
If you are using TeXLive-2007 (ie MacTeX 2007), then mathdesign and the
associated Garamond are already installed.
Change the line

The other problem is that the TeX name of the font is not "ugm" but mdugm.
You could use \renewcommand{\rmdefault}{mdugm}, but the package is more

Hope that helps.

Best regards,