[OS X TeX] Installing fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Mar 16 18:35:34 EDT 2008

Le 16 mars 08 à 20:53, Nathan Paxton a écrit :

> 	I'm trying to install Garamond (and eventually, mathdesign and
> Minion Pro) into my local texmf tree (~/Library/texmf....). I've
> followed the instructions at http://www.tug.org/mactex/fonts/fonttutorial-current.html#sec3
>  and http://www.physics.brown.edu/physics/userpages/students/Michael_Abbott/stuff06/howtoinstallfonts.htm
> . (I'll grant that I did not follow EVERY direction on Bruno's site,
> but things like section two didn't seem applicable, if I already had
> the PFB, AFM, TFM, VF, and such files from CTAN.)
>
> 	I then sudo texhash'ed and sudo updmap --enable Map ugm.map'ed.

I've not looked at the details, but about this line only: if you
installed in ~/Library/texmf, then

- No need to run texhash.

- The invocation "sudo updmap --enable Map ugm.map" is likely to cause
problems. If I'm not mistaken, you're creating updated map files
psfonts.map etc. with root privileges in your home directory. Hence,
when running TeX as a standard user, you may experience problems.

There are two alternatives:

- "sudo updmap-sys --enable Map ugm.map": you're creating updated map
files with root privileges in the system area /usr/local/texlive/2007/
texmf-var. It's a bit inconsistent as the map files are installed
system-wide while the fonts are only available for your user account,
but at least for this account it will work.

- "updmap --enable Map ugm.map": you're creating updated map files in
your home directory, most likely

~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_pk.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_ndl14.map
~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg

A problem is that these files will stay there indefinitely, they won't
be erased or updated when you'll install at some point a new version
of TeXLive, and they'll take precedence over those in TeXLive.

If you're not too shy about the command-line, you might try to install
the fonts in the system-wide tree /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local. In
that way, after all the components are added:

- Run "sudo texhash".

- Run "sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map ugm.map". The -H flag has the
effect of making updmap-sys read from /usr/local/texlive first instead
of ~/Library/texmf first.

Bruno Voisin