[OS X TeX] Re: Leopard MacTeX PATH problems, still

David Airey david.airey at vanderbilt.edu
Sat Mar 22 22:55:10 EDT 2008

I hope this is not double posted; sent from wrong account before.

> How do I manually set my PATH variable?
>> Howdy, Do you have a PATH set in a ~/.profile, ~/.bash_profile or
>> ~/.bashrc (I'm assuming you're using bash as your shell in
>> Terminal)? How about a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file that sets
>> the PATH? I'm just wondering if you've got something that is
>> overriding the one set by / etc/paths+/etc/paths.d/*. By the way do
>> you have a file /etc/paths.d/ TeX? Good Luck,

I did not find such a file in my home directory:

[AireyDC:~] dairey% ls -a
.			.flexlmrc		.tcsh_history
..			.fonts.cache-1		.texlive2007
.B3			.gimp-2.2		.thumbnails
.CFUserTextEncoding	.gnome2			.webex
.CLC_tmp_lazy1		.inkscape		.xdvirc
.DS_Store		.inkscape-etc		CLC_Data
.MCXLC			.jalview_properties	Desktop
.RData			.java			Documents
.Rhistory		.jin			Downloads
.Trash			.jpi_cache		Library
.Xauthority		.lesshst		Movies
.bash_history		.nsmbrc			Music
.config			.parallels_settings	Pictures
.crash_reportrc		.recently-used		Public
.cups			.rnd			Sites
.cytoscape		.ssh			gsea_home
[AireyDC:~] dairey%

The only profile file I could find was in /etc/, name "profile", with
the following contents:

# System-wide .profile for sh(1)

PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
export PATH

if [ "${BASH-no}" != "no" ]; then
	[ -r /etc/bashrc ] && . /etc/bashrc
fi

I think my shell is tcsh, and I don't remember choosing it over bash.
It says tcsh in the window name, and preferences are set to default in
Terminal preferences.

-Dave
--
David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Pharmacology Research Assistant Professor

Department of Pharmacology
School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University
Rm 8158A Bldg MR3