[OS X TeX] Preparation of illustrations for press

Adam Fenn acwfenn at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 25 06:16:52 EDT 2008

I'm using TeXshop via PDFTeX plus the graphicx package and eplain to
produce a journal.

I would some advice on how best to prepare illustrations for press. I
note that publishers such as Springer typically recommend minimum
resolutions of  300, 600, 1200 dpi for
halftones, combination art and line drawings respectively.

So far I have a few full colour illustrations, approximately 10 x 15
cm, scanned at 800 dpi and saved as pdfs in photoshop. This produces
quite large image  files, around 24MB, and both TeXshop preview and
Acrobat Reader take a long time todisplay these pages (I realise that I
can use draft mode when working on the text).

Is this the best way to prepare illustrations for press? Should I save
them in a format other than pdf? Is it normal for pdf files with lots
of high resolution illustrations to be so slow to display or is this
more an issue with the amount of memory on my computer?

Thanks in advance,
Adam Fenn.