[OS X TeX] Preparation of illustrations for press

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Mar 25 19:35:36 EDT 2008

On 26/03/2008, at 9:47 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> What I often use Illustrator for is idiosyncratic in this respect:
> namely, take advantage of its ability to separate a graphics into
> its different elements, so as to be able to transform some of these
> individually afterwards. For example, make some lines thicker,
> transform others into dashes, fill some closed elements with
> background, change fonts.

Yes. I do this a lot too.
Generally the defaults that one gets from Mathematica
(and other mathematical/scientific software) are not good
for clarity, especially after scaling down for insertion
within a nicely typeset document.

This is particularly true of axes and tick-marks on
graphs. (See example below.)

> Originally I found that tricky, as for some reason Illustrator
> considers apparently disconnected elements as a single object and
> doesn't allow dissociating them. When I finally became aware of
> direct selection, the problem disappeared.

You seem to be talking about "Group"-ing of objects.
There are 2 arrow cursors; one always selects the whole
group while the other allows selection of individual pieces.

Also, there is the "Layers" palette.
This lets you locate each individual piece, which can then
be selected by clicking a button --- very useful in a complicated
graphic where it is hard to isolate the bit that you want to
select, move or modify.

> Appended is an example (obviously not exhibiting the size problem):
> a Mathematica-produced graphic, and the same after processing in
> Illustrator to rotate, add symmetric elements, etc. All the same
> could probably have been achieved using Mathematica commands, but
> I'm not a very competent Mathematica programmer and I found it
> easier to use Illustrator for this. That said, the interactive
> graphic editing facilities of Mathematica 6 possibly makes this
> straightforward: I haven't experimented with these yet.

Here is an example on what I do a lot, for assignment solutions, say.

The all-gray image is what a colleague produced from Mathematica,
then touched-up a bit in Illustrator CS3 -- in particular to set
the MediaBox correctly. Size is ~ 16kb .