[OS X TeX] PDF translation (Mac->Windows) problems

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun May 4 11:46:56 EDT 2008

Le 4 mai 08 à 01:21, Christopher Allen a écrit :

> I use LaTeX with Tex+Ghostscript (because I've had better luck with
> PSTricks; PDFTricks had trouble reproducing some things) on TeXShop
> to create .pdf files. I use the default font. The problems, however,
> seem to be coming later. That doesn't seem to be the culprit,
> though. Typically I'm trying to send someone one chapter from a 50-
> page or 180-page lab book I've written. I open the book in Preview
> 4.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.2. I then print to .pdf whatever pages I want
> and send that smaller .pdf file.
>
> When an error occurs, the parts that are written in bold show up
> along with the general formatting. However, the rest of the
> characters show up as dots, as with option-8 on a Mac. Acrobat
> Reader says there is a problem with the embedded font.

Does it get better if you use the pdfpages package instead of Preview,
to extract pages from the TeXShop PDF output?

See /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/doc/latex/pdfpages/pdfpages.pdf.

Example of use (with pdfTeX of course), for extracting pages 7 then
1--4 say, separated by a blank page, of file origpdffile.pdf in the
same directory:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\begin{document}
\includepdf[pages={7,{},1-4}]{origpdffile}
\end{document}

Bruno Voisin