[OS X TeX] getting pdflatex to use Adobe fonts instead of Nimbus.

George Nurser gnurser at googlemail.com
Sun May 18 17:23:03 EDT 2008

2008/5/13 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de>:

> Am 13.05.2008 um 13:44 schrieb George Nurser:
>
>> I'm running TexLive 2007, and wish to get pdflatex (& possibly
>> dvi2ps?) to use Adobe fonts instead of the Nimbus fonts
>
> Obviously the market for brain jogging has some gaps ...
>

> The command should be:
>
>        sudo updmap-sys --setoption LW35=ADOBEkb (or ADOBE without Karl Berry
> font names)
>

> It's not documented, and I've *almost* forgotten it. I hope SpotLight will
> remember ... (on my NeXT Mac too?)
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete

Many thanks. It worked, in that pdflatex e.g. with LateXiT produces a
pdf with embedded TrueType Times fonts etc that I can edit nicely in
Illustrator.

However... my graphics software (matplotlib, a very nice python
plotting library) unfortunately at present requires Type 3 postscript
fonts to produce a pdf file directly without going through  a
postscript stage, and of course I do not have the Adobe postscript
fonts-- fondu cannot extract themfrom
/system/Library/fonts/Times.dfont. Of course I used to have the Adobe
postscript fonts under System 9;)

So it's back to the URW fonts, in which case matplotlib produces nice
pdf figures, but then strangely, Illustrator converts the URW Times
clone (Nimbus) to some san-serif font. Why cannot it make a more
sensible font substitution?

Thanks again for the rapid help. George Nurser.