[OS X TeX] What is hijacking a thread?

David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM drdbthompson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 08:03:33 EST 2008

On Nov 5, 2008, at 00:49 , BenBehr wrote:

> On 05.11.2008, at 06:54, David Watson wrote:
>

>> On Nov 4, 2008, at 11:49 PM, George Gratzer wrote:
>>
>>> What is top-posting?
>
> Top-posting is to my knowledge to answer to an existing mail by just
> typing your contents to the top of the mail. And not, like I am
> doing it right now behind the Question it answers. In my opinion
> however I feel that both is a legitimate method. In some cases it's
> better to top-post and in other cases its better not to.

FWIW, I think top-posting is a lazy habit encouraged by Outlook
(originally), which to my knowledge provides no easy way to quote.
Apple Mail seems to encourage this behavior as well. One my nits about
Mail is that I appear to be stuck with this vertical-bar quoting
mechanism when I really prefer a greater-than symbol. I looked, but
can find no way to change that.

I prefer the inter-threading of questions and answers because I
believe (and don't ding me for that please) it improves the
readability of the text. However, I largely gave up on insisting it be
done that way because I was finally beat down by the masses.

OK, crawling back off to my rock again, dreaming about the days of
plaintext mail clients...

-=d