[OS X TeX] Acrobat Presentation Bundle -- Webdings

David Arnold dwarnold45 at suddenlink.net
Fri Nov 7 00:39:16 EST 2008

Hi,

I've installed the latest MacTex (2008) on my Power Mac G5. I am
trying to configure the Acrotex Presentation Bundle from acrotex.net.
In the manual (http://acrotex.net/data/apb/manuals/apb_man.pdf),
there are some instructions for installing webdings and wingdings:

The two font sets, wingdings and webdings, are normally available on
bothWindows and
Mac platforms.5 APB has a number of different options for creating
navigational icons, and some
of these options utilize these font sets.
The following are instructions for getting MiKTEX to use these dings:6
1. Copy the folder apb/extras/apb into the folder C:\localtexmf\fonts
\tfm. The
folder apb/extras/apb contains two .tfm files Webdings.tfm and
Wingding.tfm.
For users of MiKTEX 2.6,7 copy the folder into
C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.6\fonts\tfm
2. Go to the folder C:\texmf\web2c and copy the file updmap.cfg into
the localtexmf
folder C:\localtexmf\miktex\config. Open the file updmap.cfg (the one
located
in the C:\localtexmf\miktex\config folder) with your favorite text
editor and add
the entry
# dings for APB
Map apb.map
to the bottom of the file and save it to C:\localtexmf\miktex\config.
For users of MiKTEX 2.6, click Start > Run... on your windows desktop
and in the Run
dialog box enter initexmf --edit-config-file updmap. Execute this
command
by clicking OK in the Run dialog box. A Notepad file opens, the first
line of which reads
%% T1 font configuration settings. See the MiKTeX manual for help.
Now, copy and paste the lines
# dings for APB
Map apb.map
into this document, save and close.
3. Now, go to the apb/extras folder of the APB distribution and copy
the file apb.map
into C:\localtexmf\miktex\config as well.
For users of MiKTEX 2.6, navigate to the folder
C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.6\fonts\map\dvips
and copy the file apb.map found in apb/extras into this folder.
4. Refresh the filename database of MiKTEX.
5. Finally, execute the command initexmf --mkmaps from the console
command line.
(Again, go to Start > Run... on your windows desktop and in the Run
dialog box
enter initexmf --mkmaps and click OK to run.)

I need to know how to do this on my system. I tried:

1. adding the tfm files to ~/Library/texmf/fonts/tfm/apb/
2. copied apb.map to ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/
3. adding the lines:
# dings for APB
Map apb.map
to a copy of updmap.cfg in ~/Library/texmf/web2c
4. sudo updmap-sys

More instructions from the manual: "Testing: Now, test to see if
things are working as designed: Open the file webding_tst.tex
(found in the root directory of the apb folder) in your favorite text
editor and latex it, convert
webding_tst.dvi to the postscript file webding_tst.ps, finally
convert to the PDF
webding_tst.pdf by using Acrobat Distiller. Open the PDF in the
Acrobat application and
witness you’re beautiful dings!"

The file webding_tst.tex compiled with latex, but the command "dvips
webding_tst.dvi" produced:

apb $ dvips webding_tst.dvi
This is dvips(k) 5.97 Copyright 2008 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2008.11.06:1416' -> webding_tst.ps

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --
dpi 600 wingding
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for wingding.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
dvips: Font wingding not found,  using cmr10 instead.

</usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/dpi600/
cmr10.pk>
dvips: Checksum mismatch in font wingding
dvips: ! invalid char 220 from font wingding

I am pretty much stuck on how to proceed.

Any suggestions?

David