[OS X TeX] latex->dvips->Distiller->Acrobat Professional

Enrico Franconi franconi at inf.unibz.it
Tue Nov 18 05:56:51 EST 2008

On 18 Nov 2008, at 06:28, David Arnold wrote:
> Currently, in a terminal window, I am doing the following:
>
> latex filename.tex
> dvips filename.ps
>
> Then I drag filename.ps from the finder onto my Acrobat Distiller
> icon.
>
> Then I drag filename.pdf from the finder onto Acrobat Professional.
>
> Does anyone have a script (or makefile) that will:
>
> 1. Close filename.pdf in Acrobat Professional, if open.
> 2. latex filename.tex.
> 3. dvips filename.dvi
> 4. Use the Acrobat Distiller to turn filename.ps to filename.pdf,
> then close Distiller when finished.
> 5. Open the resulting filename.pdf in Acrobat Professional.

I suggest that you use simpdftex as follows:
 > simpdftex latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --distiller ps2pdf14
filename.tex
This will latex your file and will generate directly the filename.pdf
in one shot.
Then, if you use Skim instead of Acrobat Professional as a PDF
previewer in production time, then it will reload automatically the
new PDF without further ado.
cheers
--e.