[OS X TeX] latex->dvips->Distiller->Acrobat Professional

Enrico Franconi franconi at inf.unibz.it
Tue Nov 18 14:27:58 EST 2008

On 18 Nov 2008, at 13:21, Roussanka Loukanova wrote:

>> I suggest that you use simpdftex as follows:
>>
>> $ simpdftex latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --distiller ps2pdf14
>> filename.tex
>> This will latex your file and will generate directly the
>> filename.pdf in one shot.
>> Then, if you use Skim instead of Acrobat Professional as a PDF
>> previewer in production time, then it will reload automatically the
>> new PDF without further ado.
>
> I've tried this command in Carbon Emacs, by setting it in AUCTeX. It
> works well, except that:
>
> - the reloading is not automatic. I have to use manually Revert from
> the the File menu in Skim.

Indeed...
I forgot that I am using an updated version of simpdftex (which should
be included in the distro, I guess), which fixes this behaviour and
adds the ability to pass options to dvips. This was posted 6 months
ago to the list, and it is available to anybody asking me.

> - synctex functions only by placing "\synctex=1" in the preamble of
> filename.tex.

As suggested by Herbert, this is fixed by doing:
$ simpdftex latex --mode dvips --maxpfb --extratexopts "-synctex=1" --
distiller ps2pdf14 filename.tex

cheers
--e.