[OS X TeX] Wanted: editor with special skills

Dominikus Heinzeller siegfried_ohneland at gmx.net
Wed Oct 1 12:33:23 EDT 2008

Dear all,

thanks for your messages. I used the utf8 encoding as kind of
workaround already, but I guess it's the most convenient way. Smultron
unfortunately does not provide the functionality of read-and-write
translations. Your arguments are, of course, reasonable, but you are
loosing the 100% platform compatibility of the TeX file. Believe it or
not, there are still colleagues working with such old systems that
they are not able to read utf8 encodings properly. But I guess they
have to scope with that...

Thanks again,

Dominikus

On Oct 1, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Martin Berggren wrote:

> Isn't the usual recommendation these days not to use stuff like
> "r{\'e}sum{\'e}e", but to use résumée together with a proper input
> encoding. I use
>
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
> (although I've seen that some people don't like that encoding for
> Latex).
>
> Then you have to use fonts that contained "umlauted" characters,
> like lmodern. The reason for the above is that the pdf file then is
> searchable for words like résumée, which it will not be otherwise.
>
> Cheers,
>

> On Oct 1, 2008, at 16:32 , Dominikus Heinzeller wrote:
>
>> Dear MacTeX Users,
>>
>> I am a new member of this mailing list, so please forgive me if
>> this question came up before. I switched to Mac about a month ago,
>> previously using Windows (and Linux for the real stuff like
>> astrophysical simulations). I am very happy with this decision and
>> I also managed to get almost everything running in a similar or
>> better way than before.
>>
>> However, I have one specific question concerning a reasonable
>> editor for LaTeX. Under Windows, there is an excellent software
>> called WinEdt, which has one special feature I really need and
>> which I could not find thus far for any editor available under MAC:
>> read-and-write translations. This means that when a file is read
>> from the disk, a certain combination is replaced and displayed with
>> another one. For example, in the ASCII file on the disk there is a
>> text passage "r{\'e}sum{\'e}e". The translation mechanism
>> recognizes {\'e} and converts it into é, producing a résumée in
>> WinEdt. This has the big advantage that the text is readable, spell
>> checking is possible and at the same time, the ASCII file is really
>> platform independent (since it contains only non-special
>> characters). When typing with a French keyboard in WinEdt, I can
>> also use the special characters such as é, which makes typing very
>> fast. The internal translation mechanism converts é back to {\'e}
>> when saving the file on the disk. Along with that, WinEdt provides
>> perfect support of LaTeX features like an IDE and has a very
>> convenient spellchecker. If, by hazard, anyone knows an editor
>> capable of that, please tell me. I am also willing to pay for it in
>> case it is shareware (so is WinEdt). Thank you!
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Dominikus
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Dominikus Heinzeller
>> Institute for Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics
>> University of Kiel, Germany
>> email: dominikus at heinzeller.eu
>> cell: +49-170-7744149
>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/list/
>>

> Martin Berggren

> Department of Computing Science, Umeå Universitet
> S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden. http://www.cs.umu.se/
~martinb,