[OS X TeX] How to update MacTex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 2 17:00:39 EDT 2008

On Oct 2, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Yu (Ryan) Yue wrote:

> Dear MacTex genius,
>
> I am brand new to MacTex. Actually I just got my first mac pro. I
> was trying to compile textpower file with MacTex and it said
> foil.cls is missing. Is there any easy way to install those files.
> Thanks!!
>
> Best,
> Ryan
>

> Yu (Ryan) Yue

Howdy,

Foiltex is not part of TeX Live (MacTeX). You can download the
foiltex.zip file from CTAN, <http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/foiltex/
 >. Once you've unzipped the folder double click on the .ins file (to
open it TeXShop) and compile that file (the console output will end with

No pages of output.
Transcript written on foiltex.log.

and you can then quit. Several new files, including foils.cls, will be
created. Then take the foiltex folder and place it in ~/Library/texmf/
tex/latex/ (where ~ is your home directory and you should create any
folders along the way if they don't already exist. That's it.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)