[OS X TeX] How to update MacTex

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 17:19:32 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Jung-Tsung Shen <jushen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I keep wondering why the user friendly Mac does not have a (La)TeX
> package manager as that in MikTeX yet? Are there serious technical
> barrier? The feature will be very useful to the beginners (including
> me).

Surprise, surprise! It has now! If you have MacTeX2008 type t tlmgr
--help in terminal
and updates are coming faster than to MikTeX!

> JT
>
> Here's an excerpt from MikTeX's website:

> Integrated package management
>
> MiKTeX's integrated package manager installs missing components from
> the Internet, if required.
>
> For example, the LaTeX directive
>
> \usepackage{memoir}
> would trigger the installer, if the memoir package is not already installed.

Yeah right. With the exception that memoir is not package and with
MacTeX 2008 it is already installed so one does not depend on Internet
connection.

> This unique feature allows you to keep your computer clutter-free:
> only install packages you actually need.

Full MacTeX2008 takes less than 4GB - nothing to talk about.