[OS X TeX] mactex 2008 and hyphenation

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Sat Oct 4 04:55:58 EDT 2008

Le 3 oct. 08 à 07:05, Alain Matthes a écrit :

> With a simple install of MacTeX, we get:
>
> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01> Babel and hyphenation patterns for english,
> usenglishmax, dumylang, nohyphenation, german-x-2008-06-18, ngerman-
> x-2008-06-18, ancientgreek, ibycus, arabic, basque, bulgarian,
> catalan, pinyin, coptic, croatian, czech, danish, dutch, esperanto,
> estonian, farsi, finnish, french, galician, german, ngerman,
> monogreek, greek, hungarian, icelandic, indonesian, interlingua,
> irish, italian, latin, mongolian, mongolian2a, bokmal, nynorsk,
> polish, portuguese, romanian, russian, sanskrit, serbian, slovak,
> slovenian, spanish, swedish, turkish, ukenglish, ukrainian,
> uppersorbian, welsh, loaded.
>
> I would like to have  hyphenation only for english, french and
> nohyphenation.
>
> How to proceed ?
>
> I have some ideas like change the language.dat file
>
> and perhaps to run after that
>
> sudo mktexlsr
> sudo -H updmap-sys
> sudo -H fmtutil-sys --all
>
> but i'm not sure. I prefer to read suggestions of an expert !

Hello

I give my answer

I open the file language.dat

"/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/tex/generic/config/language.dat"

then I comment all the languages that I don't want like this

% from dehyph-exptl:
%! german-x-2008-06-18 dehypht-x-2008-06-18.tex
%! =german-x-latest
% from dehyph-exptl:
%! ngerman-x-2008-06-18 dehyphn-x-2008-06-18.tex
%! =ngerman-x-latest
% from hyphen-ancientgreek:
%! ancientgreek loadhyph-grc.tex etc ...

It's necessary to use %! instead of % for the languages

then

sudo mktexlsr
sudo -H updmap-sys
sudo -H fmtutil-sys --all

Now perhaps it's possible to make this with tmlgr but how ??

Best Regards

Alain