[OS X TeX] tlmgr

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Oct 17 15:48:20 EDT 2008

Am 17.10.2008 um 16:23 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> Don't know if I agree with you here. Using
>
> sudo updmap-sys ...
>
> will include an personal map files at the system level but they
> still can't be used by other users since the type1 fonts, etc., are
> not available to other users. You haven't violated any agreements.

You're right, Herb, but it also adds to your following conclusion:

> What I do know is that we've seen many problems and great confusion
> when updmap is used rather than updmap-sys and similar with fmtutil
> vs fmtutil-sys.

The MAP files are advertising something that is not available for
*every* user.

I once thought of patching the updmap or fmtutil etc. scripts to
check whether they are running on Mac OS X. If so, they would check
whether they are running in the -sys form or not. In the -sys form
they would refuse to work when *not* invoked with elevated
privileges, in the normal form they would refuse to work when invoked
*with* elevated privileges ... and then proposing the patches for
integration into the scripts. This would cost the programmers and
maintainers some hours, the users some milli- or microseconds – and a
bit less trouble.

--
Greetings

   Pete