[OS X TeX] Building Asymptote with OpenGL support

N Shah pony777 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 01:43:36 EDT 2008

Have any of you managed to build the new asymptote (1.46) with OpenGL
support?  This is supposed to allow you to embed interactive 3D
objects (PRC) in your pdfs.  This seems to be very helpful for
including examples in my notes for my students.  I can build it fine
without OpenGL support.  I think where I'm getting stuck is two places.

1) There seems to be a dependency on the freeglut library.  I
downloaded and built it, but had to shut off warnings when I ran ./
configure.  There are no tests included in the Makefile, so I'm not
sure if this worked properly.

2) When I then try to build asymptote, the linker fails to find a
whole bunch of references to things like _glBegin etc.  Looks like
the linker is failing to find the OpenGL library.

So my question, if you were successful in building with OpenGL
support, what libraries did you use and in particular, which LDFLAGS
and CPPFLAGS did you need to specify to get OpenGL to link.

I realize that the Asymptote forum may be a better place for this
question, however, given the recent discussion on this list, it seems
some folk are having success with asymptote.

  - Nirav