[OS X TeX] Slow MacTeX 2008

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Tue Oct 28 12:49:37 EDT 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 08:50 , David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM
wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2008, at 08:01, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> I did notice that the leading terms in the PATH were /sw/bin which
>> means that there is some Fink software around. Was there a Fink
>> teTeX installed? This has lead to all sorts of problems because of
>> the way fink places its bin directory at the front of the PATH. If
>> the only Fink software that has been installed is teTeX I'd remove
>> it and then check your .profile, .bash_profile, etc., to see if
>> there is anything that loads a config file that sets the profile.
>

> I'll track this down and test Maarten's suggestions when I return
> home this evening.
>
> The desktop is probably 2004 vintage and a number of programs have
> been on and off that system. I think I used fink at one time to do
> an octave install, but I've slept since then and don't remember
> everything. I may have used a tetex install as well.

What is your desktop system (processor, speed)?  And what version of
Mac OS X are you running?

FWIW, there are tools that can help with this.  I would start with
"fs_usage", which will print all file-system-related system calls,
together with the time taken for each, and the file, if any, involved.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large