[OS X TeX] BibTeX-Problem on Mac: couldn't open style file/ couldn't open database file

Matthias Geissbuehler matthias.geissbuehler at epfl.ch
Wed Oct 29 19:15:34 EDT 2008

Hey Pete,

Thanks for your quick reply!
> Does BibTeX work on the command line, i.e., run without errors?
Nope: It produces the exactly same error messages as posted before...

> Does the command "kpsewhich unsrt.bst" work on the command line,
> i.e., return the path name of the file?
didn't know that command: it does not return anything (neither error
nor path name - however it ).

> The files listb.bib and mybib.bib are not part TeX Live – where are
> they installed?
Sorry this was probably not clear in my first post: they belong to the
simple example that I found somewhere on the web (I discovered my
problem first with my own document, but then I tried to find a more
simple example to rule out other possible sources for problems: so I
just found this demo as a first hit in google...).
So once again: the simple example is from:
http://shelah.logic.at/eindex.html

with the three files:
http://shelah.logic.at/lpaper.tex
http://shelah.logic.at/listb.bib
http://shelah.logic.at/mybib.bib

I have them all inside a folder:
/Users/myUserName/downloads/test/

> What is the command "which bibtex" on the command line returning?
/usr/texbin/bibtex

Thanks for any additional help!

Mat