[OS X TeX] BibTeX-Problem on Mac: couldn't open style file/ couldn't open database file

Matthias Geissbuehler matthias.geissbuehler at epfl.ch
Thu Oct 30 04:58:06 EDT 2008

Hello everyone,

Wow: what a great mailinglist! thanks to everyone for their kind
answers!

I just in this very moment found out what the problem really is:
As mentioned before, the only thing that I recently did that could
affect my Latex-distribution, was installing LyX (in order to help out
a friend how to use it).
Now there is no problem with having them in parallel as such, but I
wanted my LyX distribution to be in English which is why I needed to
change this file:
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
according to the LyX-Wikipage http://wiki.lyx.org/Mac/Environment

what I didn't pay attention in the beginning, was that in their
exemplary .plist-file they have two lines that specify the default
location for .bst and .bib files!
their exemplary file can be found here: http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/LyX/MacOSX/environment.plist

I deleted those first keys and no everything is fine again and my
bibtex works fine.

I'm sorry to have disturbed you with this, I will put a line in the
LyX-Wiki, because I consider this rather misleading to put an
exemplary-plist file in their Wiki that makes your usual bibtex to
stop working!

Anyway: have a nice day everyone and thanks for your help!

Matthias

> From: Herb Schulz
>
> Do you have older TeX distributions? Please go to System Preferences-
>  >TeX Distribution and see what distribution is active.
I had only one distribution (2007) active when the error happened for
the first time. Then I upgraded to the newest, so NOW I have two
distributions, and only 2008 which is active.

> Also what does
> the command
> echo $PATH
> return?
/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin

> Also, what does
> which bibtex
> return in Terminal?
/usr/texbin/bibtex

> I'm wondering whether the the full MacTeX is really installed
As far as I know I did indeed install the full MacTeX-distribution.

> From: Justin C. Walker
> A really stupid question, just to clear something up: in what
> directory did you put the .bst file?
To be honest I have never thought about this before, since the TeX-
Live distribution does organize the default .bst files on its own. The
one used for this simple example is a standard .bst file.

------------------------------------
Matthias Geissbuehler
EPFL STI IMT LOB
BM 5.138