[OS X TeX] Mail merge from Excel to LaTeX letter class?

Larry Staton Jr. larry at sweetpeasoftware.com
Fri Oct 31 09:20:53 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Michael Hanson <mshanson at mac.com> wrote:
> All:
>
> I have an existing Excel worksheet with contact information that I'd like to
> "mail merge" into a set of LaTeX-generated letters.  Ideally, I'd like to be
> able to just push a button in TeXShop and have this work -- maybe a macro or
> engine?

AppleScript (or F-Script or rb-appscript) can read your Excel
worksheet, write the data to your template, process the data in
TeXShop (or just compile it with the command line), and then print the
resulting document if needed. With Excel 2008, you could use a
keyboard shortcut to trigger the action. There are other facilities
for triggering the action, too.

I generate my legal documents for my law firm using a similar method.

Contact me off-list if you'd like more information.

--
Larry Staton Jr.
Sweetpea Software
larry at sweetpeasoftware.com