[OS X TeX] TeXLive2008's iso image

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 4 10:48:04 EDT 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 4 sept. 08 à 16:10, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>
>> In MacTeX 2008 I found:
>>
>> 	/usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/installer/lzma/lzma.universal-darwin
>> 	/usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/installer/lzma/lzmadec.universal-
>> darwin
>
> OK. I imagine that's used by tlmgr (TeX Live Manager) behind the
> scene to update and install additional packages.
>
>> The installation of TeX Live works via scripts and supporting
>> utilities and data files. To me it's only natural to assume that
>> the installer will have all it needs to install TeX Live on a disk
>> from a disk image.
>
> Unless I've misunderstood something, there's still something of a
> paradox here, as it's assumed you've already an installation of TeX
> Live (of this tlpkg directory) in order to be able to install TeX
> Live with it.
>
> Bruno

Howdy,

I also believe the object was to install TeX Live 2008 directly from
the ISO DVD Image rather than by using MacTeX 2008.

If I understand correctly it is to avoid the installation of files
under /etc/ (at least with OS X 10.5.x) to add the symbolic link to
the PATH and MANPATH variables. In Tiger and Panther that would
actually change files in /etc/. Under Leopard I see no problem with
doing this since one need only delete the extra files but I think it's
more philosophic than real.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)