[OS X TeX] MacTeX-2008 Status

David Watson dewatson at me.com
Thu Sep 4 18:08:55 EDT 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Roberto Avanzi wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2008, at 10:50 PM, David Watson wrote:
>>
>> I understand your predicament, and I would not violate any set
>> policy.
>> I would, however, take a moment to educate the policy makers that,
>> in certain cases, distribution through p2p is a necessary evil and
>> the only real remedy is education and an honor policy.
>
> p2p, especially the bittorrent flavour, is used for several legal
> applications. KDE has torrents, and several other projects.
> Bittorrent is perhaps the most "neutral" of the protocols and it is
> safe and reliable.  I could get MacTeX 2008 and share it twice (2.4
> Gb back) in just a few hours.

And how about FreeBSD? http://torrents.freebsd.org:8080/
I seem to remember at some point that Mac OS X (the Darwin core, at
least) used a significant amount of tools from FreeBSD.
I'm sure the FreeBSD developers do not publicly advocate the use of
BitTorrent protocol as a means of "pirating" their software... they
understand the advantages to their bottom line that can be achieved by
distribution through a non-centralized, and platform-agnostic protocol.

----
David Watson • Graduate Student • Medicinal Chemistry • 425 Faser Hall
• University MS  38677 • 1.662.915.1663