[OS X TeX] MacTeX-2008

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Thu Sep 4 18:47:34 EDT 2008

On 04/09/08, you seem to have written:

> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Dr. Clea F. Rees <cfrees at imapmail.org> wrote:
>> My custom install went very smoothly with the MacTeX installer.
>>
>> I wanted to install the TeX Live Manager and I used the package from
>> /Applications/TeX/Utilities/TeX\ Live\ Manager to attempt this.
>
> TeXLive Manager is installed by MacTeX2008 (or TeXLive2008) and it
> runs from terminal:
> type
>
> %tlmgr --help

You're quite right. I should have said I wanted to install the GUI
interface and therefore ran the installer from the folder etc.

> The package in this directory installs Tk module for Perl which
> provides X11 hookup for tlmgr
> (and for texdoctk)
>
> Run X11 and type in terminal
>
> %tlmgr --gui

I know this is what it is meant to do. But things don't work quite as
cleanly if you already have an older version of the Tk module for Perl
installed. Then the installer leaves the new versions with their
temporary names in /Library/Perl rather than installing them.

- cfr