[OS X TeX] mactex 2008 and MathTime Pro

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Sep 5 15:06:28 EDT 2008

On  5 Sep, 2008, at 13:48, David Watson wrote:

> When I installed the fonts, I followed the instructions from pctex,
> and placed my fonts in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/.
> Related files were found with a quick "find" in the doc, fonts,
> source, and tex subdirectories.
>
> I would assume that this is a case where you use the "sudo updmap-
> sys" command sequence.

Gary Gray knows very well how to handle a web2c directory in his ~/
Library/texmf folder ---he even has personal format files in
there!---; I don't and I'm afraid of it.

Peter Dyballa has presented very good reasons against my custom of
doing sudo updmap-sys for my fonts (and maps) in ~/Library/texmf
(namely, if other user in my machine wants to use apparently
accessible fonts that appear in the system wide updmap ---say,
Lucida---, she or he would receive errors because the fonts are really
in my personal tree).

I admit it's a bad custom not to use texmf-local; but as it is a
directory I never check, I'm afraid to leave old things there that
would interfere with new installations. On the other hand, I'm always
checking ~/Library/texmf.

Best,

Axel