[OS X TeX] TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Wed Sep 10 14:22:24 EDT 2008

On 10/09/08, you seem to have written:

> Sure:
>
> which latex: /sw/bin/latex (this is at odds with the system preferences
> setting, no?)

Yes and no. It isn't what you want but it isn't because that mechanism
is failing.

> echo $PATH:
> /sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11R6/bin

This is the problem. As I understand it, the system preferences panel
sets things up so that (among other things) /usr/texbin points at the
relevant bin directory. However, in you case /sw/bin comes before
/usr/texbin in your search path. So no matter what /usr/texbin points
to, the latex in /sw/bin will always take precedence.

You need to change your PATH so that /usr/texbin comes *before*
/sw/bin. Alternatively/as well, you might consider uninstalling the
fink TeX installation if you don't need it.

- cfr