[OS X TeX] TexShop suddenly can't find pdflatex.fmt (even though it's there)

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Wed Sep 10 16:31:11 EDT 2008

On 10/09/08, you seem to have written:

> Ok, I've got /usr/texbin as the lead path in $PATH, have TexShop too
> pointing to /usr/texbin for pdftex, and /usr/texbin showing up properly for
> `which latex'.  And I've used Fink commander to remove the Fink tex
> installation as well.
>
> However, upon typesetting in TexShop I still get the following error:
>
> /urs/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex: unrecognized option
> `--synctex=1'
> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> \write 18 enabled.
> %&-line parsing enabled.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt
> mktexfmt: No such file or directory
> I can't find the format file `pdflatex.fmt'!
>
> What might I try next?  Thank you to all who have been helping to solve
> this.

You shouldn't have pdflatex (the executable) in /usr/local/.../pdftex.
You should have pdflatex.fmt there. I think you should undo the
additions you made to that directory earlier since they are only likely
to confuse things.

You cannot use the '--synctex=1' option with TL 2007. Either delete
this option in TeXShop's preferences or install MacTeX 2008.

- cfr