[OS X TeX] problem using /opt/local instead of /usr/local/

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Thu Sep 11 09:56:29 EDT 2008

Le 11 sept. 08 à 14:56, Christopher Brewster a écrit :

> christopher-brewsters-macbook-pro-15:~ kiffer$ echo $PATH
> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/local/
> bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/local/git/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin
>
> [...]
>
> I am on Leopard completely up to date. I did a clean install of
> everything including TexLive 2007 in December or some time then.

The first part of the PATH, namely

	/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

is the OS X Leopard default, defined through the basic path setting
file /etc/paths yielding

	/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin

and through the additional path setting files in /etc/paths.d.

Then come your additions. What's odd is that:

(1) The additional path setting files in /etc/paths.d are processed in
alphabetical order of file names, so that the additional path elements
are added at the end of the basic path by alphabetical order of file
names.

(2) Upon install MacTeX adds a file /etc/paths.d/TeX containing the
path element

	/usr/texbin

to the file /etc/paths.d/X11 which is part of OS X and contains the
path element

	/usr/X11/bin

Given the file name "TeX" comes before the file name "X11" in
alphabetical order, the TeX path addition should come before the X11
one, so that on a vanilla Leopard (!) with only X11 and MacTeX the
PATH should be

	/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin

In your case, /usr/texbin comes last, after *not only* the MacPorts
and "git" elements but *also* the X11 element.

This indicates that when installing MacTeX something went wrong, so
that no file /etc/paths.d/TeX has been installed or that, in case it
has been, then for some reason it is not taken into account properly.

It's possible that something on your setup fooled the MacTeX installer
which did not realize it was on Leopard, thought it was on Tiger and
accordingly modified /etc/csh.login and /etc/profile instead of
creating /etc/paths.d/TeX.

I'm afraid that will be the end of my help on this problem, as I'm
really reaching the extreme limit of my knowledge of Unix.

Bruno Voisin