[OS X TeX] Re: [MacTeX] tlmgr testing

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sat Sep 13 20:25:23 EDT 2008

On 13.09.2008, at 15:18, Karl Berry wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
>> today I tried the following minimal document which to my surprise
>> didn't compile:
>>
>> \documentclass{book}
>> \begin{document}
>> test
>> \end{document}
>
> Yikes.
>
> I cannot think of any reason why tlmgr would delete basic files such
> as
> book.cls, and the recent changes seem completely unrelated.  Maybe the
> base files are still on disk but the ls-R files got corrupted somehow?
> Try running mktexlsr.  And, say,
>  find /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/ -name book.cls -print
> to see if the file is really there.
> Or maybe it's stray environment variable settings?

Following Herb's advised, I completely reinstalled MacTeX2008, the
document compiled fine then. I then manually downloaded the new tlmgr
from tug svn as recommended by Dick. I'm currently in the process of
updating and everything seems to work fine so far.

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as is
generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also be
thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better job
on the wings.“ Stanley Kubrick