[OS X TeX] synctex, texshop and \include

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 09:55:22 EDT 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2008, at 8:33 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>> On Sep 13, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>>
>>> If my source is Master + includes it works one way (chapter.tex
>>> <--  pdf)
>>>
>>> OS 10.4.11 (Intel)
>>>
>>> Is this a current state of affairs?
>>
>> In TeXShop Version 2.14-svn (2.14) under OS 10.4.11 for PPC,
>> "chapter.tex -->  pdf" works but not always and sometimes gets
>> confused, e.g if something already occurred in a previous chapter.
>>
>> Regards
>> --schremmer
>
> Howdy,
>
> TeXShop 2.14 uses a PDF search (or pdfsync) to go back and forth.
> Unfortunately the PDF search gets a bit confused if there is quite
> a bit of duplicate text

Indeed

> and pdfsync sometimes changed the page layout of the output document.

If it does, I never noticed.

> In particular, TeXShop 2.14 doesn't ``know'' how to work with
> synctex, which is somewhat like pdfsync but built into the major
> TeX processors so there is no change in page layout.

I just thought I would remind us that the "good old days … they were
terrible." (But of course I will stick with 2.14 for at least another
year or so.)

> Unfortunately TeXShop synctex tex<->pdf searching is available
> starting with TeXShop 2.18 and you also must have MacTeX-2008
> installed.

Well, I leave 2.18 to you, Ladies and Gentlemen of the vanguard. As
for me I am perfectly content to plod along with last year's
technology (I still remember the choice: pencil and eraser or
typewriter and white out and, either way, scissors and rubber
cement.) ;-)))

Best regards to all,
--schremmer