[OS X TeX] your wiki needs you?

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Thu Sep 18 21:59:06 EDT 2008

On Thu 18th Sep, 2008 at 20:02, Alain Schremmer seems to have written:

> On Sep 18, 2008, at 7:28 PM, Robert Bruner wrote:
>

>>> Sorry: I misunderstood you to say that LaTeX could be made to be
>>> easier than word processors.
>>>

>> Misunderstood?  No.  That's exactly what I said.
>>
>> The frustrations I observe WYSIWYg (esp. Word) users suffering
>> are vastly greater than the frustrations I experience with LateX.
>
> Sorry again!
>
> But when I was using Word I was so happy that there was a math editor that I
> wasn't even aware that the spacing was not quite right. And, similarly, I
> have rarely observed Word users, even mathematical ones, being frustrated.
> Usually, they just do what Word allows them to do and rarely is there a
> yearning for something else.

Mathematics aside, it is hard to believe you have been around many Word
users! Especially Word users trying to do any of the following:
1) format a thesis/dissertation consistently with university
requirements
2) format anything according to any (external) requirements
3) make the paperclip go away
4) make Word understand that they will tell it when they want to start
a list/use a capital letter/insert a blank page/...

Not that I don't believe you - but it is not an easy task!

- cfr