[OS X TeX] your wiki needs you?

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Thu Sep 18 22:20:14 EDT 2008

I think the most important point is that the terms are defined on the
wiki. I think using an alternative definition of the sort proposed will
make the wiki harder to maintain. This for at least two reasons. First,
the definition of 'front end' will change over time because what is
considered a sophisticated IDE-type environment will change over time.
Second, given a particular definition, what counts as a front end will
change, too. (It *can* now - but that is much less likely.)

Also, we cannot say in that case that a front end is equivalent to an
editor plus a viewer because that won't be true. Moreover, many
applications currently listed under "viewers" will not clearly count as
viewers. (Because if TeXMate doesn't count as having a viewer...)

So we'd need that a front end is:
editor + viewer + extra stuff
(so the viewers still count as viewers).

Is BibTeX integration necessary? I  can think of lots of things that
somebody might want from a TeX application. But what matters to people
will vary.

The ability to go between source and output doesn't matter all that
much to me - nice, but far from essential. Other things matter much
more. So I think what "extra stuff" counts as essential varies with the
individual as well as the state of the technology.

- cfr

On Fri 19th Sep, 2008 at 03:08, Bruno Voisin seems to have written: