[OS X TeX] pdflatex and TL2008

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sat Sep 20 20:21:23 EDT 2008

On 20.09.2008, at 17:17, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I installed TexLive 2008 a couple of weeks ago, and it worked
> without a problem, until I updated with 'tlmgr'.  Now, 'pdflatex' is
> missing, and if I specifically try to get that program, I get "not
> found" (for 'install') or "strange - it's not there" (for 'update').
>
> I did a quick check of the mail from the list, but see nothing that
> seems to relate directly to this.

I had the same problems, and after some mails with Karl Berry, the sad
conclusion is this: tlmgr can ATM delete a package/program if
something goes wrong during the update. The problem is that tlmgr
currently deletes the item it updates before it makes sure that the
update has actually been successful. So if something goes wrong during
the download process of the update –  for example because of loss of
network connection – you'll end up losing the particular thing you
wanted to update. As I said, this has been confirmed by Karl and an
update is in the making, but the sad conclusion is that tlmgr is not
really safe at the moment (I had various packages and programs
disappearing this week when I tried and re-tried to update my
installation.).

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as is
generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also be
thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better job
on the wings.“ Stanley Kubrick