[OS X TeX] pdflatex and TL2008

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Sep 21 08:02:46 EDT 2008

pdflatex is only a symbolic link to the binary pdftex, i.e., if the
symbolic link is missing you can simply recreate it.

In order to upgrade or reinstall pdftex I would recommend to download
the pdftex source file
pdftex-1.40.9.tar.bz2 from CTAN or from Hàn Thê´ Thành's site and in
addition the manual pdftex-a.pdf, then you can simply run the provided
shell script build.sh to compile a pdftex binary for your specific
machine type; afterwards you have to install three binaries in
universal-darwin - the file pdftex.pool is obsolete and no longer
needed. Running fmtutil-sys --all will finish the installation.

It is really a no-brainer and I now use a i386 pdftex binary.

Claus