[OS X TeX] eps problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 24 12:41:21 EDT 2008

On Sep 24, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Joel Anderson wrote:

> Dear Experts,
>
> All of a sudden, TeXShop won't recognize eps files.  For example the
> file
>
> \documentclass{laexam}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \includegraphics[scale=.6]{abcd.eps}
>
> \end{document}
>
> produces the error:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .eps.
>

> This occurs both on my machine at home and the one at work.
>
> I hope someone can help.
>
> Joel Anderson

Howdy,

You are trying to process the file using pdftex rather than TeX
+Ghostscript. You can check off the Typeset->TeX and Ghostscript to
temporarily change to that engine. You can make all files compile that
way by default via the TeXShop->Preferences->Typesetting->Default
Script preference. The best way to guarantee that TeXShop chooses the
correct engine is to put the line

%%!TEX TS-program = latex

for TeX+Ghostscript or

%%!TEX TS-program = pdflatex