[OS X TeX] Compile to 2 separate (pdf) documents...

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 29 17:46:22 EDT 2008

On 29 sep 2008, at 23:36, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:

> For reasons beyond my control, I need to separate my document into
> two separate documents (body/references). I can do this by hand, but
> it would be nice if I could  have the references automatically split
> off into a separate file. Is there an easy way to do this  within
> the latex document?

Very tricky: printing a copy of the reference to a separate file is
easy: just \input the .bbl file (assuming you're using bibtex) in a
minimal latex file. However, to keep the correct references within the
body itself, you need to have the references in there somewhere for
the \cite commands.

> (yeah, I can split by printing to PDF, using Acrobat, etc, but would
> like this more direct automatic solution).

With the separate files (body + references and references alone), you
can count the number of pages (pdfinfo), and then script something
with pdftk. You might be better off just splitting the final version,
but I don't know the details for wanting this in the first place.

Hope this helps you,

Maarten